Once again there is a post on the frontpage linking [to this article](https://www.alaskapublic.org/2021/04/15/alaska-would-be-first-state-to-use-blockchain-based-voting-system-under-proposed-bill/) and it makes it sound like “Alaska is about to use block-chain in elections because there’s a Bill being passed that will make Alaskan elections use block-chain technology!!!”.
First things first, know this: Any member of a legislative house can propose amendments to Bills, and depending on where you live even regular citizens can propose amendments. It’s **nothing special**.
With that in mind, if you dig a little bit deeper than the headline you will easily find that:
1. It’s **one senator** trying to amend a Bill that’s being deliberated upon to include the possibility of usage of block-chain technology in elections.
2. His amendment was not yet approved so it’s not included in the Bill.
3. The Bill was still not passed and is still being deliberated upon. It may or may not be approved, it may or may not include Senator Shower’s proposal. For now it’s not including it. [You can find the Bill here. It doesn’t mention Block-Chain at all.](https://legiscan.com/AK/research/SB39/2021)
4. [Here is Alaska State the page where you can read about the Bill](http://www.akleg.gov/basis/Bill/Detail/32?Root=SB39)
5. And [here is the Bill](http://www.akleg.gov/PDF/32/Bills/SB0039A.PDF) itself. Try searching for “block” “chain” and/or “blockchain“. You won’t find it.
While the title is partially true and clickbaity when it says *”Alaska would become the first state to adopt blockchain technology statewide in its voting security system”* that is also true for any other State or Country: at this point any State or Country that adopts block-chain technology for elections will be the first to do so. I wonder why write it this way?
Easy conclusion: Alaska is not about to use block-chain for elections. A simple reading of the article and a small amount of critical thinking (this time with a bit of knowledge of the political system) would make you at least question the way the headline was written.
Let’s be better ² 🙂
View Reddit by Harucifer – View Source