There’s an increasing number of ways to get scammed and your funds stolen in the crypto sphere these days and most people don’t even realise they’ve fallen prey till their funds are missing.
I usually lurk in r/Metamask and try to help out when I can but there’s so much you can do when you see people fall prey to certain scams over and over.
So I’ve out up a list of things to look out for when using a wallet.
1. For the love of God get a hardware wallet(IF you can afford its like $60). Your keys don’t get exposed when using them, viruses don’t affect them(AFAIK), and you have pin encryption as protection.
2. Know part of your wallet address/ Confirm at least the last 4 digits of it: Its a hassle to memorise your wallet address but knowing what and whatnot your address looks like makes you the wiser and it sure beats sending a test amount to ‘confirm the address’ with a token like ETH for example with its gas fee problem. Getting a ENS domain to also simplifies this further
3. Avoid public WiFi: Generally, don’t use public WiFi for any type of transaction or anything involving personal information.
4. Don’t interact with random contracts. You will get your wallet [swept and mopped](https://np.reddit.com/r/Metamask/comments/pcjvnj/30000_in_eth_were_transferred_out_of_my_metamask/). This happens with [token approvals](https://info.etherscan.com/tokenapprovals/) where a hacker gets the permission to spend your funds
5. If you suspect any malicious software in your computer, transfer everything to a new wallet and nuke the system, If you can afford it, get a separate system for it just to be safe or run a VM.
6. Keep your software updated, there may be exploits in software that can be used against you.
7. DO NOT CLICK LINKS IN YOUR DM… just don’t
You may notice I didn’t add anything about storing your seed phrase- this post isn’t about storing seed phrases also the sub has valuable content on this.
Bonus points: Get a gnosis multisig wallet, its currently your best bet against a [$5 wrench attack](https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/security.png)
View Reddit by ejdunia – View Source